Wednesday 12 August 2015

Honduras 2015

The Return to Cusuco

After measuring thousands of dead birds I was keen to see some live ones. So it was that I secured a place on the annual Operation Wallacea expedition to Honduras. The last time I had been to Honduras was in 2011 when I joined Operation Wallacea as a volunteer, spending two weeks in the cloud forests of Cusuco National Park and two weeks diving in the Bay Island of Utila. Back then, I did not know where my research interests would take me and I kept my options open, helping with the numerous surveys undertaken by OpWall. Little did I know I would return, four years later, as a member of the ornithology team.

Operation Wallacea is a conservation organisation working in 12 countries around the world. There, they conduct research into the biology and conservation of the natural systems in which they operate. The appeal of Honduras the first time around was the excellent combination of rainforest and reef but this time chance, nostalgia and the drive to go birding took me back. The location was Cusuco National Park, 23,440 hectares of protected are in the Merendon Mountains of northwest Honduras. This comprises 1/3 core protected zone and 2/3 buffer zone with eight camps distributed over an altitudinal range of 1,500 m. Part of the Meso-American biodiversity hotspot, the cloud forest is characterised by its high species richness and endemism making it the 48th most important protected area for biodiversity in the world. My poison is obviously birds, which Cusuco does not lack. With a park species list approaching 300 I was keen to set out and see come for myself.

In Cusuco there is a team for most major groups of organisms, responsible for the standardised, long-term monitoring of said group through their various means. Over time and space we hope to see how the anthropogenic impacts of climate change and habitat degradation affect this precious ecosystem. The large bird team split their time mainly between point counts and ringing. The former allows the detection of a large proportion of the avian diversity over larger areas whilst the latter provides more detailed, individual information on those species that can be caught close to the ground. Not yet being a ringer myself, I was only able to help with ringing for my first week under the close supervision of friend and colleague Sam Jones. The rest of the time I would be entrusted with the point counts.

Slate-throated whitestart
 Learning the Ropes

I was wont to tell people of the difficulty of point counts, mainly to big myself up, but also because it did entail a certain degree of knowledge. To do point counts I was required to be able to ID a good number of species from the off. In the tropics the vast number of bird detections are audial so, as with previous fieldwork in Australia, I needed to spend some time in advance of the trip listening to bird songs and calls. This, coupled with a tome of a bird book and some bedtime reading, meant that on arrival in Base Camp, I was not completely bewildered.

The Base Camp of Cusuco was a familiar site and I was happy to be back. My first morning there took me straight into the forest for my first point count. Point counts are simple in principle. After one minute of acclimatisation, the observer spends ten minutes recording all of the bird species detected. For each individual, the estimated distance and method of detection are recorded. It was reassuring to discover that some of the species had stuck in my mind so I could pick out the ubiquitous slate-coloured solitaires and black-headed nightingale thrushes against the cacophony but there was still a lot to learn.

With a steep learning curve came a steep slope, straight to the camp of Cantiles where I would be spending my first two weeks. I’m not going to lie, that three hour hike nearly killed me and for those of you who’ve done it, I know it wasn’t even that hard but it transpired I was surprisingly (or perhaps unsurprisingly) unfit and those who saw me stumble, red-faced into camp can testify. Thankfully this lack of fitness abated somewhat over my time in Cusuco.

Cantiles was a stunning camp, set on a steep hill among huge, epiphyte-ridden trees. With the highest altitude of any camp, Cantiles also boasts some tricky transects yet these winding routes reach up into the dwarf forest on the very highest peaks of the park. There, amidst stunted, moss-clad trees and mist-drenched bromeliads, I could watch the dawn come, hear the birds sing their chorus and see the wine-throated hummingbirds flit between the flowers (#birdon). However, I still hate mornings and getting up early was a grim necessity especially when it came to reverse transects. Rising at 3 AM to traipse for three hours through the dark, through the bugs, through the grasping, elfin forest was not my idea of fun but balance is important and the sampling of each transect requires surveying to be conducted in both directions, beginning at dawn.

The first week was something of a crash course. Under the esteemed tutelage of Sam, fellow birders Daniel, Adam and I spent that time getting to grips with the protocols and the birds, sometimes literally, where ringing was involved. Despite the knackering transects I was enjoying myself. The first week lent confidence to the second whereupon Adam and I were left in Cantiles to continue the survey effort. We were joined by the first wave of research assistants, an enthusiastic bunch who surprised me in their willingness for early starts. The devilish, mountain-top transects were tempered by long spells of opportunistic birding. These additional surveys are being tested alongside ringing and point counts for their efficacy in discovering the species richness of remote areas. They were also an excuse to sit back in a sunny spot and watch the birds fly by, especially rewarding when conducted in conjunction with a waterfall swim.

Wine-throated hummingbird
Heading West

Thus the second week flew by and it came to leaving time, onwards to the next camp: El Danto. A fellowship of scientists and students departed Cantiles with a daunting ‘8 hour’ trek ahead. I can’t complain much about the 6 ½ hour walk which was much easier than I expected but then I did make my life much simpler by taking the bare minimum to the West Side. The West Side were those few camps reached only by arduous hikes, a long way from the dry pine forests of Base Camp and the East Side. El Danto squatted in a short forest, shrouded in mist, clinging to the banks of a rocky river. Though I did not care for the constant damp or the sheer climb to the long-drops, I liked Danto for its forgiving transects. I was the sole birder at the camp and conducted my first point counts alone. As such, it was in this week that I shifted a gear; now comfortable with the common birds I set out to find more, to bolster my species list. This happened with some success as I found those species that had evaded me for a while (eye-ringed flatbill) and others which represented the first inclination of more disturbed, lower altitudes (masked tityra).

Disturbance was a defining feature of the West Side as the scars of man encroached inexorably on the supposedly protected forest. Whole transects have been lost to deforestation and this became more apparent as I moved on from El Danto. I began a five day journey to my next camp, Capuca. The first stop was Cortecito, a beautiful camp set deep in a valley of huge trees and colourful flowers. It was a shame to only see this camp for a night as it promised interesting birds and gave good views of foraging howler monkeys. A brief liaise with Sam also spurred me on to continue my search for more species.

From Cortecito, I descended further in the company of herpetologists Justin, Cheyenne and Alex. We ended our West Side experience in Santo Tomas, a tiny yet well furnished ‘camp’ in the buffer zone of the park. Santo Tomas was rife with nostalgia as I skirted the hill where once had stood a camp of real size which served as the main camp of the West Side. In 2011 I had spent my second week here taking in the local bird life but now the camp has all but disappeared. This is in part due to the extent of deforestation in the area rendering the camp impractical to run at full capacity. Now it operates only as an exit camp, releasing staff from the West Side. I knew the birding was good here so I had less than 24 hours to see what I could. My time was well spent and rewarded me with 32 species for my list including the stunning keel-billed toucan and blue-crowned motmot as well as a whole host of lowland ‘trash’ birds (Jones 2015).

Violet sabrewing nest
Back to the East

A long drive and a sumptuous Burger King took us back to Base Camp. One night there gave me time to check out some local birds (white-breasted hawk nest) before heading to Capuca. Capuca, Capuca, Capuca. Rain, mud and illness defined the first half of the week and no amount of tropical skittles or bean-themed card games could lift my cynicism. However, as always, Cusuco provided good company and top chat so that the week was still enjoyable. Moreover it was my first week of school groups which meant ‘inspiring the next generation’. I tried my best to sell birds to the students and succeeded to some small degree but regardless it was good to have them around and see them power through the mud and D & V to emerge enthusiastic and triumphant. The birding that week was a shade less exhilarating than previous weeks but still offered ‘billboard’ views of a resplendent quetzal.

And so I came to my last week. Habitat bloke Rik and I were ushered through Base Camp before a truck took us onwards to Buenos Aires (BA). You do not know luxury until you go to BA! They have plastic, flushing things called toilets, a dense springy layer called a mattress and all the junk food you could want. I loved BA from start to finish. Not only was the living standard higher and the company excellent but the birding was fresh and new too. Very few of the core zone species seep down to the deforested area surrounding the village; instead a suite of more generalist birds took their place. The interesting transects took me through a range of habitats enabling me to increase my list further, despite the protestations of fatigued students. Once again the week passed quickly, a blur of early starts, phallic frozen bananas and various medicines. The end came with one last dawn, one last opportunity to see the sun rise pink above the cloud forest. I joined a group heading down the mountain, comfortable in a seat rather than the bone-breaking bed of a pick-up, whereupon I lounged in the melancholy of leaving and the reverie of what had passed.

I didn't ‘find myself’ or anything but I did confirm that I was doing what I wanted to do: seeing amazing places filled with stunning birds (I saw 108 spp. in the end) in the company of enthusiastic, like-minded and brilliant people. Maybe I will go back...

Resplendent quetzal
Buenos Aires and environs